Saturday, March 10, 2007

Afterthoughts...

What's this? A real update! It's officially spring break. It seems like classes just started, but I'm really not going to complain having a week long break. So what are my big plans for this illustrious break? Well, I am actually skipping out of town for a few days and blowing off work for the week. I'm going to teach at a neuroimaging workshop, catching up with old friends, hopefully going to watch kamikaze karaoke, and racking up some frequent flier miles. Oh and of course working on my midterm exams for a couple of classes!

Classes are going well. Some of them are a lot more work than anticipated, but I'm learning more than I expected as well. The rest of the stats semester is focused on a "find your own data, analyze it, and write it up" type project. Which I of course see as the perfect way to put off other assignments. I spent most of yesterday putting my data in SAS, renaming variables, adding labels, and digging into the data.

I've been going swing dancing a lot more recently. Houston has a lot of dance options going on. There's even a Lindyfest next week with 4 days of solid dancing. Not sure how much of that I'll be able to attend since I still have a lot of things to get done -- but hopefully I'll get to go to a dance or two. Also have been cutting down on the running quite a bit due to knee issues - nothing severe but I've been resorting to the old ice bags taped to my legs (I use "cling wrap") so I can ice my knees while being somewhat mobile around the apartment.

At the moment I'm procrastinating my neuroanatomy midterm by formulating some summer plans. It's tricky because I have many great friends in the Houston area that I must admit are quite addictive to be around. And yet, there are many things I would like to do this summer that aren't in Houston. Today I got an offer to go to London for a couple of weeks on a research project. I'm also looking at the possibility of going to Vancouver to work at some learning centers for a short interval. But don't worry, I'll be back for everyone's birthday...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

London would be AWESOME!!

Take me!

Penjammin said...

Awesome. enjoy that break with all that "renaming variables" and stuff on the back-burner. :) peace.