Monday, January 15, 2007

Books and other things

"This, this is ice. This is what happens to water when it gets too cold." - Val Kilmer in "Real Genius"

That quote basically sums up the weather in Texas at the moment. Which is fine by me, as I sit curled up in warm clothes with no (compelling) reason to leave my condo all day. I spent most of the weekend attempting to write the "last" bits of my thesis. I've written the majority of it, now I'm in the midst of writing up the analyses and what exactly it all means. Imagine my delight when last night I discovered that I made a couple mistakes in the analyses. In any case, 9 hours after discovering the issue, all is fixed, and I have results...

I'd like to say that after this I'll get to relax a bit, but I just committed to a joint-project with a professor at school and helping out on a book chapter due in April, plus classes start up tomorrow. That's right, starting off a new semester, where every student has several questions on their mind, but perhaps the one shared by all students is: Will the professor be super cool and hand out the syllabus and then let everyone go after questions? Or will they keep us for some time to begin educating us while simultaneously proving the point that they're in charge?

More on that later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

cold would be nice...it was 72 degrees here and humid!! Argh...the mosquitos were everywhere...the south sucks!

Maegan & Kayo said...

My experience at UH thus far is that no one lets you go early on the first day. Complete opposite of undergrad. Is it because our graduate professors have so much knowledge to impart that they cannot possibly waste half a class... or because they only think they do?

p.s. longest word verification EVER - 8 characters. Perhaps it's an acronym for:
Rope boring professors in with cunning red herrings.

petite américaine said...

Hey, mine has had her "introduction to class" last for most of the last two classes - approx 4-4&1/2 hrs now. Yep. And that included a 45 min talk on how to work the online class discussions! (No, there's no undergrads in this course.)

She's a talker!

Waiting for some of that knowledge to be imparted... She at least seems to be a fairly intelligent and nice lady...so there's some hope still within me!